Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Sydney

Sunday was a beautiful warm sunny day, with a cool onshore breeze. Bob, Jill, and I took a trip into Sydney for a little sightseeing. We took the train into town and went down to the harbor to catch a ferry to see the sites from the water.

Public transportation here is phenomenal by US standards, with a complete network of trains and ferries which were clean, fast, and timely. For just AU$15 I was able to get a day ticket which allowed me to ride any of the public transit anywhere it went. Senior citizens can get a day pass for $2.

There were all manner of watercraft plying the harbor in what seemed to me to be a nautical “free-for-all”. Jill used the word frenetic, which I thought captured the scene in a word. It was great to see so many people out and enjoying themselves. I got the requisite picture of the Sydney Opera House, and we stopped a few times to disembark and do the “tourist thing”.

Like any big city, it was a little overwhelming at first, but I soon started to get my bearings. Given a little time to explore and adjust, I think I could be very comfortable finding my way around here. It’s definitely a world class cosmopolitan city but with a friendly and accessible feel.

On Monday Bob and I visited the Moyes factory to pick up my new harness. It was ready and waiting for me, and in just a few minutes I was hanging in it for the final fine tuning adjustments. The fit was perfect! We chatted with the Moyes crew for bit, and then we were on our way to Bob and Jill’s home in Nowra.

No comments: