Thursday, January 18, 2007

Rain Magnets

This morning when I looked out the window I saw blue sky. Then I got up and looked west and saw a dark line of cloud headed our way. By the time I was walking to the pilot meeting it was raining. I went in and signed up for alternate launch anyway. Heather just laughed. It’s bad when one of the pilots manages to muster more optimism than the meet director.

Today they didn’t even mess around. The day was called at the morning meeting. The weather radar showed lots of rain headed our way. We hung out and watched a movie, and rearranged gliders as those who had finally given up packed up to leave. I went outside about 2pm and damned if it hadn’t cleared up. It looked like a perfect day – just what Heather had been worried might happen for the last couple of days. I decided to cool off in the river and do some laundry, and then I got word that some folks were going to be towing at the airport. I decided to go over and watch. No sooner was a glider set up than a huge band of cloud appeared to the west. Soon we could see rain to the north and the first few drops started falling. Unbelievable! I hurried off to retrieve my laundry off the wash line. Tomorrow is the last day.

No comments: