Monday, January 1, 2007

I’ll never be a photojournalist.

It was a busy day of towing at the Forbes Airport today – particularly considering that the first practice day isn’t really supposed to be until tomorrow. I went out fully intending to fly, but when I got there I found myself delaying and finding reasons to wait to set up. A few people had already decided it was too breezy and had left, but there were many more setting up. I didn’t think conditions looked too bad. The breeze was a bit strong, but the airfield is wide open with no obstructions for miles. By noon, conditions had gotten a bit stronger, and massive thermals started coming through mixed with the breeze. We were on the edge of some kind of airmass change. To the west there was high cirrus and stable looking conditions, and to the east there were towering cumulus forming, and already one huge cell dropping rain. The wind was from the northeast, and the unstable weather kept moving our way. Most pilots who towed were just looking for the tow refresher, but there were some hardy souls who did some small out and back flights, and at least one downwind XC. I decided that since I wasn’t flying I would help with the tow operation. I did ground crew for an hour or so, then one of the tugs flipped upside down landing crosswind. The pilot was unhurt, but of course he felt bad about it. Things had gotten rowdy enough by this time that the towing stopped, and we got the damaged plane back to the hanger for evaluation.


The damage was substantial; the BRS Parachute and the propeller took the worst of it, the prop destroyed, and the parachute container crushed. There was plenty of other minor damage as well, so the plane needed torn down. I helped with that most of the afternoon. It looked like it might possibly be serviceable again by morning or, alternatively, there was a plane at Rylstone with a blown motor. If this one couldn’t be fixed, they would take the motor to Rylstone and fly that one back.

By this time it was really blowing and the rain was getting closer and the wind was picking up. Pilots were still returning and landing in the stiff breeze as we moved the tugs into the protection of the hanger. To the north I noticed a huge cloud of dust. I soon realized that it was a dust devil about a half mile in diameter. It was heading in our general direction, which added a little urgency to getting the tugs under cover.

During all this time – The towing, the weather, the upside down tug – it never once occurred to me that I had a camera in a pouch on my belt. And so another post with no pictures.

1 comment:

Tom Lanning said...

Shame on you! Get that camera working on non-competition days. (Good luck with the meet).