Monday, February 5, 2007

Exorcizing Demons

I woke up today thinking about yesterday’s flight. I knew that I needed to do something for a little mental reset.

At the pilots meeting this morning the weather forecast looked much like yesterday. That didn’t do anything for my mental state. Once on the hill, however, we found it was coming in nicely at the west launch. That seemed a bit better. The conditions in the air, however, were weak. The paraglider pilots and free-flying hang glider pilots that flew early were struggling and bombing out. Most of us were waiting for it to get better and, of course, I had my own demons to contend with. Finally a few pilots started lining up and launching - with mixed results. I took a deep breath and got in line. Two pilots in front of me had made a track down the ridge to the north and were not finding anything. I had a feeling that the north spine was working, but further out. After a clean and uneventful launch I made a beeline that way and was rewarded with a nice climb, right where I expected it. A couple of pilots that launched after me joined me and then a whole crowd piled off launch. I managed to find the strongest core and soon saw the other pilots receding below me. Now that was more like it! I felt one or two demons drop away. I went on course, a bit more relaxed but still thinking about how every flight ends in a landing. That demon was still clinging tightly.

Soon I found myself north of Barraba in what by now was familiar territory. I knew there was one section of trees and hills with few good landing options. As luck would have it I found myself there low. Well, I thought, this was as good a place as any to wrestle the last demon. I picked out a nice field in easy glide and close to the road. I could have made an effort to get back up, but today I had other priorities. I carefully scanned the field for obstructions, then set up a perfect approach and landing.

I carried the glider to the gate; demon free and quite content with the days flying.

2 comments:

Tom Lanning said...

So, life's exciting, eh? Glad to hear you used your excellent skills to keep a scary flight from becoming a tragic flight. Hang in there, those flights are the building blocks of sound judgement on future flights! (I know, sounds like a load of crap, but I really think it is true.)

Anonymous said...

Dave, glad you pulled off the landing.Sounded awful! I don't like dodging fxed objects even going upwind let alone down! Fly safe! PK AKA,in the old days, "The Canyon Kid" (that's another story...)